[GTALUG] ot: perhaps, headphones?

Alex Kink alex at alexkink.com
Fri Jan 14 12:38:36 EST 2022

Yes, not sure why I left that hanging.

I have two separate friends who purchased the current top end Bose noise cancelling headphones (model 700) when they came out about 2 years ago.
Somehow, these units failed the same way for both people, few months after the 1 year warranty passed. The failure is in the "computer" part of the headphones (after all, modern wireless headphones are essentially computers with speakers and microphones attached to them). They no longer "boot up" and throw an error code (expressed as a blinking pattern of the LED). There is a lot of reports about this on forums/reddit but I don't know how prevalent this issue actually is. It might be a freak accident that the two people that I know both experienced the same.

In both cases, Bose said that there is nothing they can do and offered a 47% discount on a new pair. This is not a bad discount, if you've gotten several years out of your pair, but in this scenario it means shelling out $240/year.

Long story short, when I buy a pair of earphones I expect them to last 5+ years and this is probably not something one can reasonably expect from modern ear computers because of all the added complexity and built in batteries. The above has left me hesitant to buy another Bose product.

I have to add here, that I've had 3 pairs of Bose earphones (more primitive models than the modern ones) over the last 15 years that have served me reasonably well.