[GTALUG] Man and Info Pages

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:42:10 EST 2022

On 2022-01-08 22:43, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:

> ... LaTeX, which has fantastic PDF support

I think we're seeing different problems. Mine was caused by a literal
U+03A9 ("Ω") somewhere in the document. The default LaTeX toolchain for
the particular project's Sphinx setup wasn't Unicode-aware. Only by
changing one config line from "pdflatex" to "xelatex" did the manual
compile.

I'm not professionally involved in typesetting any more, but the most
recent, most capable Unicode/multilingual typesetting system I've seen
is a version of troff. Neatroff - http://litcave.rudi.ir/ - handles
bidirectional typesetting and Opentype ligatures for scripts that use
different glyphs depending on their place in a word.

cheers,
  Stewart