[GTALUG] Man and Info Pages

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Sat Jan 8 22:30:58 EST 2022

On 2022-01-06 11:44 a.m., Scott Allen via talk wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 11:28, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> I open a man page, I scroll - done.  I opened the
>> man page because I wanted to learn about the command whose man page I
>> opened - I don't want to have to learn about 'info' before I can learn
>> about any other command ...
>
> Well, you do have to learn about 'less' or whatever pager 'man' is
> using on your system (default or specified).
>
> However, I agree. I never liked using 'info', mostly for the same
> reasons you've given.

I don't use info. I tried it in the early days but found it wasn't easy to
use. I never got the hang of how to navigate around to find the information
I wanted. On the other hand man shows me a single page that I can easily
search for the information I need using a command key I use in vi.

I rarely tried using info back in the day and it has been so long since I
last tried to use it that I had pretty much forgotten all about it. My
system has less as the pager which is part of what makes using man pages to
get information about something nice and easy.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick