[GTALUG] Debian install fails due to network failure

sciguy sciguy at vex.net
Sat Jan 8 07:47:58 EST 2022

This has happened with what I have tried so far: Debian and Ubuntu. I
have been accustomed to my network card being auto-detected and the
internet being automatically connected with an installation, but I am
not getting internet on installation, so much of the installation has
failed.

This machine was set up as a dual boot, and is running Windows 10 with
the latest updates. It has previously run a version of Ubuntu Studio,
but with this upgrade (first by USB then by DVD), I am not getting a
network, and so the installation remains half-finished.

Somehow, after changing this over to Debian, where the installation
failed for the same reason, Windows 10 EFI detected the incomplete
installation and now offers "finishing the Debian installation" as a
boot option when I reboot.

It seems the root of my problem is in Microsoft's choice to take over
the EFI in a recent update, thereby supplanting GRUB, which was there
before. GRUB was a technology I understood fairly well; EFI is not. Can
anyone suggest, or point to some resources, for how to install Linux
alongside W10, in a way that the EFI appears to recognize (since it
seemed to almost accidentally with Debian).

Thanks

Paul