[GTALUG] Ethernet alias triggering network security warnings

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu Apr 28 15:10:22 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-28 11:47, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> Most DHCP servers I've used on the 192.168.N.* tend to be set up to
> assign numbers in the 100-254 range.  Choosing "110" as your number
> puts it in that range, and unless you explicitly told the DHCP server
> that 110 is off bounds,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about that. I think the site where
the boxes are being prepped was issuing addresses in the 10.*/24 range but
perhaps not. The problem is more recent but something may have changed
within the LAN where the prep work is being done. It would explain why I
can't see the problem on the box that appears to be triggering the warnings.
It is something to keep in mind when boxes are being installed at remote sites.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick