[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu Apr 28 14:59:18 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-28 01:35, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
>  1. My motherboard takes a single M.2 SSD for my one and only drive. I have
>     a larger M.2 card that I'd like to replace it with, cloning my existing
>     setup to the new drive
[snip]
>     Can anyone recommend a good tool for doing the disk clone?

I have just used dd run under Linux when I have cloned drives in the past. YMMV.

>  2. I want to have one partition for data that is visible regardless if I
>     boot Linux or Windows.

You should have no problem with an NTFS partition as the common one. There
is (or was) a utility to read ext* partitions from within Windows. IIRC, it
was read only access but it did work. It was so long ago that I last did
anything with it that I don't remember the name of the program. It might
have been for ext2 only but I can't be sure.

>  3. I've never used snap or flatpack before. Others have told me to install
>     as much native (ie, .deb packages) as possible, use flatpack when it's
>     the only option and uninstall snap.

I've never used snap or flatpack. If you installed one of those formatted
packages I don't know how you keep them up to date. I would use a PPA for
something before I would think of snap or flatpack. I know a package I get
due to a PPA will get updated as part of my computers normal update process.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick