[GTALUG] From Slackware to which distro?

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:14:51 EDT 2022

On 4/27/22 20:49, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 00:37:21 -0400
> William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been running Slackware since forever.  It's time to grow up and see
>> the world.  Which distro would you recommend that I move to?  Yes, I
>> know it's personal, and reasons will be varied and educational.
>
> William,
>
>     Why do you want to switch from Slackware?  I hope you understand
> that when you switch to Ubuntu or Fedora, you will have to locate and
> install the fortune cookie.

William,
I agree with most of the other comments. The only other thing is if you want an Arch base but avoid
the default install you can try: https://manjaro.org/download/. The Arch install isn't too bad, but
that seems like your only nit with it, so maybe this is better for you. You do give up on the issues
with being "custom" but maybe you don't care about that.

As to the other comments about Pacman speed, it gets even better if you use powerpill according to
other reports. I've not used it but here is the documentation: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Powerpill

Not sure that helps you or others,

Nick