[GTALUG] From Slackware to which distro?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 27 00:37:21 EDT 2022

Hi All,

I've been running Slackware since forever.  It's time to grow up and see
the world.  Which distro would you recommend that I move to?  Yes, I
know it's personal, and reasons will be varied and educational.

- Ubuntu -- OK.  I use it at work in VM and in WSL (Windows Subsystem
for Linux).  For me, Mint is another flavour, just like Kubuntu,
Xubuntu, etc.

- Oracle -- I use it at work too.  Was CentOS, but switched to Oracle
because they said delivering end-of-life OS is bad marketing.

- Fedora -- OK.  Doesn't seem to have its equivalent in Ubuntu side.

- OpenSUSE -- Difficult to pin down.  It uses RPM but in their own way.
It has rolling release (Tumbleweed) and versioned release (Leap).

- Arch -- no.  I don't need/want to learn what they are trying to teach.
  I run Slackware, so I already know all that.

Thanks for any feedback.
William