[GTALUG] OT: NYT article "How To Construct a Chip Factory

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 8 21:28:38 EDT 2022

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 07:46:08PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> Why do cars need 2nm chips?  I could understand desktop, laptop, smartphones
> needing such.  But, even Arduino would be overkill in cars, no?  (Apparently
> not)

My understanding is that cars don't want the newest chips.  They
would rather have older designs that are more reliable in different
temperatures.  Unfortunately those are not as profitable to the chip
factories as the newer stuff, so the car makers are not nearly as
interesting to them as makers of cell phones and such it seems.

--
Len Sorensen