[GTALUG] Anyone know of a service to see if someone's pretending to be me?

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Tue Sep 7 16:38:58 EDT 2021

David,

   There was a good article and program on CBC on Social Engineering.

   https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/marketplace-social-engineering-sim-swap-hack-1.5009279
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_r2GYLdCI
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7scxvKQOo

   My take-away from this is that people have been robbing banks for hundreds if not thousands of years, and banks know better.  Cellphones are managed by service companies.  Probably, the caller is a customer.  Possibly, the caller is a potential customer.  Rogers lacks the blind, unreasoning paranoia access to your bank account or bitcoin.  My cellphone is a telephone and a wifi access device.

   Try Googling your company.