[GTALUG] Was Re: Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons now - keyboards

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:07:52 EDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 6:59 PM Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2021-10-20 11:03, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:

snip

> I've just switched to xubuntu. I think it uses XFCE. So far (10 minutes
> in) it mostly works. It does fail on one thing, though:
>
> > Let me alt+tab between the windows.
>
> I can't seem to do that. And I can't cycle between workspaces, either. I
> hope it's not because I'm using an Apple keyboard. It's the least
> disappointing keyboard I've tried, but Linux barely understands it.

Is it maybe not so much that Linux doesn't understand the keyboards but
that the keyboard manufacturers are making such junk that Linux just
struggles to understand the signals?

I've been using ergonomic keyboards for some about 20 years.
Started with a logitech (IIRC) and then was forced to move to the M$ 4000
as they were the only game left in the 'reasonable' market. The last one is
a Kensington but the last 3 M$ and this Kensington - - - they're real cheap
POS! Its gotten to where 24 months is a great lifetime for a keyboard.

I'm a fairly quick touch typist but I'm also seriously multi-lingual so a
good keyboard is quite important. Crap - - - the old manual typewriters
were far easier on me than these new items!!

To get something that is going to last a bit better - - - is the only
option the quite pricey items where they use the mechanical switches?
Suggestions - - - -

TIA