[GTALUG] Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:59:49 EDT 2021

On 2021-10-20 11:03, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:

> When a desktop going from version 2 to 3 throws away everything users
> are used to, and the developers simply don't care, then it deserves any
> hate it receives.

Yup. The main reason for Gnome removing desktop icons was that the code
was buggy. They didn't ask the users whether they wanted the bugs fixed
or the icons gone. They picked the latter. TBH, I'm still mad at Gnome
for getting rid of the bar you could dismiss with a click and it made
the Strar Trek door noise. I think that went in Gnome 1.2 → Gnome 2.0

I've just switched to xubuntu. I think it uses XFCE. So far (10 minutes
in) it mostly works. It does fail on one thing, though:

> Let me alt+tab between the windows.

I can't seem to do that. And I can't cycle between workspaces, either. I
hope it's not because I'm using an Apple keyboard. It's the least
disappointing keyboard I've tried, but Linux barely understands it.

cheers,
  Stewart