[GTALUG] Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 20 11:03:23 EDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:47:30AM -0400, Michael Hill via talk wrote:
> I prefer the elegant design and centralized vision of the GNOME
> desktop, but the whininess of the GNOME hatred here never gets old.

When a desktop going from version 2 to 3 throws away everything users
are used to, and the developers simply don't care, then it deserves any
hate it receives.

If they wanted to have a totally new vision (which is perfectly fine to
do), they should have started a new project, not hijacked an existing one.

Personally what I want a desktop to do is:
Let me launch programs (preferably by just typing the name in)
Let me resize windows.
Let me maximize windows.
Let me close windows.
Let me alt+tab between the windows.

Anything other than that is just extra.

Gnome 3 failed at quite a few of those basic things, at least for the
first while which was inexcusable.

These days I tend to just use xfce.  kde does the job too, but tends to
be slower and I don't need the extras it adds.

--
Len Sorensen