[GTALUG] Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:49:45 EDT 2021

GNOME have finally made good on their threat to remove all support for
icons on the Desktop. Any files in ~/Desktop no longer produce icons on
the screen. The GNOME Shell plugin that was the last thing that allowed
it is no longer supported. GNOME Shell itself seems broken: what was the
Shell Preferences browser page now bring up a 404 page from gitlab.

As someone who needs constant visual reminders of what he needs to be
doing, this is a huge blow for me. Desktop icons are a kind of todo list
for me. My own actual real desktop seldom has flat space on it*: right
now it's relatively clear, with only 7 different MicroPython development
boards on it. But in real and virtual life, my desktop is my work in
progress. I guess GNOME's telling me my work's done now?

I'm not even sure if there are other desktops for Ubuntu any more that
aren't KDE.

cheers,

  Stewart

*: a real picture from a month ago: