[GTALUG] Do people have opinions about the Framework modular laptop

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Oct 18 13:32:58 EDT 2021

Of late, wired Ethernet has required dongles mainly because the RJ45 jack
is just too thick for modern laptop frames. Pop-out ones have been with us
for a long time <https://twitter.com/lkarlslund/status/938695955850907651>
in a number of designs <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7fcJM6iunA> but
are just too flimsy.

IOW, despite the modularity, you're still gonna need to carry a dongle with
you in case you want more security, or your hotel room is still one of
those that has a cable but no wifi. And I bought my 8-port dongle for less
than the price of all but one of the Framework modules (and the one that
was cheaper was just a passthrough USB-C).

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56