[GTALUG] (no subject)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 16:30:10 EDT 2021

Greetings

Question re: Firefox behavior on a clean shutdown and reboot.

Firefox is set to reload previous pages and tabs upon a restart.
My system is LOADED with memory - - - - 64 GB in fact.
Am also running multi-gpu and wanting to run with all 5 of my monitors but
nouveau isn't up to running the 4k monitor yet! I use a large number of
virtual desktops as well.
As a result I get grumpy when programs don't allow me to work using my
particular system.
I will admit that I can get to over 25 pages open - - - I start a page for
every topic I'm looking at.
That's a page for every interest or every function (online
tools/activities). There also tends to get to be a lot of tabs.
I work had at keeping to under 40 to 50 tabs per age but there are usually
a few pages where the number of tabs goes nuts.
Because nouveau really doesn't like functioning with my setup (proprietary
code is far worse!!! nvidia hates multi-gpu now although they didn't when I
set up the system!) so system restarts are forced upon me far more often
that I would like. Because of the forced system restarts I get to task
firefox-esr in setting up the way it was before the system went down.

Are there hard limits that force Firefox to not renew pages as they were
(so more than xx number of pages)?
Are there hard limits that force Firefox to not renew 'a' page (I've had
this happen where one page doesn't renew but all the rest do)?
If there are no 'hard' limits (programmed in per se) are there amounts of
pages or tabs or perhaps tabs/page or something else from this stew that
greater than xx tabs or yy pages or even a small number of pages having
more than xy tabs where such activity results in firefox not restarting as
it is listed to do so (restart the pages and tabs present upon shutdown) is
considered 'usual'?
I am trying to find parameters where I'm not faced with what I have right
now.
There were about 30 odd different pages and from 15 to who knows how many
tabs per page. Some tabs were held as I was working on business deals.
Re-establishing this amount of stuff is a royal pita. If I know that any
behavior over a level described as 'x' is dangerous then I can work hard to
stay under those levels.

Please advise