[GTALUG] Enlarging /boot

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Oct 8 21:08:12 EDT 2021

| From: William Witteman via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| When I installed Debian on my current computer, I (foolishly) let the
| install script partition my disk.  Now I have a /boot partition that is too
| small.

Useless advice: I've never felt the need for a /boot partition.
I just have it as part of /.  Start up the time machine.

Turning this into useful advice: you could change your setup to do
this, abandoning the /boot partition.

I assume you are using UEFI booting.  In particular, grub and its bits
are living in /boot/efi (a mount point for the ESP).

You need to have the grub.cfg refer to /boot inside / rather than
/boot the (obsolete) partition.

Off the top of my head, UNTESTED, here's what I'd try.  Do have a live
Linux USB stick standing by in case your surgery results in a broken
system.

1. unmount /boot/efi

2. cp -a  /boot /boot-new

3. mount /boot/efi

4. change things (mostly grub.cfg) ain /boot/efi/ so that they refer
   to the relocated /boot (a new GUUID, the one for /; a new path,
   including /boot).

5. umount /boot/efi

6. umount /boot

7, mv /boot /boot-old

8. mv /boot-new /boot

9, remove /boot from /etc/fstab

10, reboot.

The tricky bit is getting step 4 just right.