[GTALUG] Pi in-place upgrade with weird side-effects

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:25:38 EST 2021

I have two Raspberry Pi 4s.  Both had Raspbian 10 (buster) installed
on them initially, and both have now had in-place upgrades to
Raspberry Pi OS 11 (bullseye).  I'm aware that the original and new
OSes aren't quite the same beast (Raspbian vs. Raspberry Pi OS).  For
the most part, this went fine, but has left some unfortunate
artifacts.  The first (that I know of, there may be many others) is
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list, which includes one active line:

    deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main

Notice that this is pointing to buster.  Which made me do some digging:

# for package in $(dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package}\n'); do if
apt info $package 2> /dev/null | grep -q buster ; then echo $package ;
fi ; done
chromium-browser
chromium-browser-l10n
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev
libraspberrypi-doc
libraspberrypi0
raspberrypi-bootloader
raspberrypi-kernel
rng-tools-debian

These are all packages that are installed from the buster repository,
and they seem like some seriously important packages (the kernel? the
bootloader?) that are being held back at an older version of the OS.

I would rather not re-install the OS, so any suggestions about what's
going on or how to fix it (or if that's necessary) would be
appreciated.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/