[GTALUG] Swapping ThinkPad drive

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 25 10:17:34 EST 2021

For /, /home, ... it's simple copy.  Since you're using external USB,
don't use "dd".  "cp -a" should be good enough.  Or, "tar -cf -".
Never used "cpio".

For /boot, it's different can of worm.  You can copy over the content,
but you have to update /boot/efi/EFI/DistroX/, so that your motherboard
"BIOS" knows about it.  I'd recommend, install your distro on the new
SSD using UEFI.  Then, update files for your old kernel.  That way, the
structure is created for you.

Personally, I don't like UEFI.  If you change motherboard, you can't
boot.  Personal experience!