[GTALUG] Booting linux from nvme disk?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 22 18:34:05 EST 2021

| From: Peter King via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Anyone had success with getting linux to boot from an nvme disk?

Installation just worked for me (Fedora).  But I've only installed
them in recent computers.  Mind you, I might be using knowledge that I
don't remember I'm using.

Back in the Haswell days, firmware would not boot from NVMe.  I don't
remember when that changed but it was several Intel generations ago.

Computers built as complete units (i.e. not sold as parts to be
assembled) sometimes have very limited firmware setup screens.  In
particular it can sometimes be very hard to set a boot target.  But if
I remember correctly, your computer was assembled from components by
you or your dealer.

One funny trick: have one ESP (EFI System Partition) on the system,
even if there are two drives.  I do that sometimes.  That means that
you steer the firmware between .efi files in that ESP rather than
between drive-and-thus-ESPs.  I'm not advocating this.

| (Over the years I've learning to approach installing Linux with fear and
| loathing, with almost all the problems being with the bootloader -- from
| LILO through GRUB and GRUB2 now down to UEFI.)

Do it enough and it becomes second nature?

I claim to have no problems but I just upgraded to Fedora 35 on my
main desktop and had the nvidia driver fail (because my card is too
old).  Grrr.