[GTALUG] Swapping SSD Drives

Jim Ruxton jim.ruxton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:33:13 EST 2021

I am currently booting off an SSD drive that boots both Linux (Ubuntu
20.04) and Windows. The partition scheme is shown here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zED6cbDncGz-fd1KF2bMjYEf5v3VWSOn/view?usp=sharing
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zED6cbDncGz-fd1KF2bMjYEf5v3VWSOn/view?usp=sharing>

I want to get a larger SSD and replace it. Can I just clone this drive
to a larger one using Clonezilla? My thought is to put Clonezilla on a
USB drive and then clone the current NVMe to another USB key.  Then
remove current SSD and replace with a larger one. Boot back into
Clonezilla and clone what is on the second USB key to the new SSD in the
laptop. Then reboot and voila. Is it that straightforward? I guess
another option is to get a NVMe to USB adapter and clone directly to
that? Is that a better solution? I've never used Clonezilla before so in
unfamiliar waters here. I also have a large HDD in the machine so maybe
could copy the current SDD to that as well? Feeling a little lost as to
best way to move forward. Thanks for any tips.

Jim