[GTALUG] e-reader recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 11 18:27:27 EDT 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 01:40:03PM -0400, Trevor Woerner via talk wrote:
> As I expected, there's lots of really good feedback :-)
>
> I should have clarified that I have lots and lots of tablets and phones and
> all those sorts of devices, but I've never had an e-reader and I'm curious
> enough to at least want to try one (mostly for battery life, eye strain,
> and general impressions). Ideally I could just buy one and it would be
> great, rather than having to try a bunch of them before finding one I like
> :-)

Well if you want something with great battery life that is great for
reading ebooks in daylight, an ereader is great.  For the things you
listed though, they are useless.

So if you want to carry 200 books with you, they are fantastic.  They
remember what page you were on in each book.  Very handy for book worms.

They are very much not generic computing devices at all though.  They do
one thing well and that's it.  I know sony tried doing mp3 support for
audio books on early models and dropped it later since it drained the
battery and was no match for an ipod shuffle for audio books.

--
Len Sorensen