[GTALUG] e-reader recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 11 18:09:46 EDT 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:26:43AM -0400, Trevor Woerner via talk wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for e-readers. Ideally these
> recommendations would come in the form of "I have used <the following
> e-readers> and <this> is the one I like best for <these reasons>" ;-)
>
> Nice to have features:
> - be able to read websites (i.e. surf the web)
> - be able to mirror a screen from my desktop (or act as another monitor)
> - be able to take notes

My experience with ereaders has been with a couple of Sony eink ereaders.
They are great for reading ebooks on.  They are not grear at PDFs in
general, and they certainly would be absolutely terrible for browsing
the web (the screen update speed is terrible) and the idea of mirroring
a desktop to it is totally hopeless.  eink displays are useless for that.

The other option is a tablet, which is pretty much what any ereader that
isn't using an eink display is.  Result of course is that reading in
bright sunlight doesn't really work well, and the battery life is way
way less.

It's a tradeoff.

Certainly the 3 things you list to me says you want a tablet, not
an ereader.

--
Len Sorensen