[GTALUG] e-reader recommendations

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Tue May 11 13:40:16 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-11 10:26 a.m., Trevor Woerner via talk wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for e-readers. Ideally these
> recommendations would come in the form of "I have used <the following
> e-readers> and <this> is the one I like best for <these reasons>" ;-)
>
> Nice to have features:
> - be able to read websites (i.e. surf the web)
> - be able to mirror a screen from my desktop (or act as another monitor)
> - be able to take notes

I bought a Sony PRS-500 in 2003, and its still going strong. I have read
thousands of books on it.

Others on the list have pointed out that "the only advantages of an
e-reader, such as the Kobo, are battery life and using in bright
sunlight."

Another big advantage is that they are small and light, while still
retaining the paperback size format. As with all modern devices, they
reflow documents to aid the aging eye

Finally, witness the battery life.  My mother-in-law uses a kindle and
the daily recharge is part of routine. I get by with about 2 weeks of
1-3 hours a day use before charging, and that return to 3 weeks, after
the next (per-decade) battery replacement.

--
Michael Galea