[GTALUG] flickering [was Has the graphics-card world gone mad?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Mar 31 12:11:40 EDT 2021

| From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I have a
| Radeon RX 550 that is struggling to drive two 4K screens. It works, but
| plenty of flickering under both Linux and Windows.

Back to your original problem.

I find vieo problems hard to diagnose.  That's because the whole stack is
complex and non-intuitive.  Several layers are willing to lie to others.
But, it might be worth a shot figuring out your problem.  We all might
learn something.

What *exactly* do you mean by flickering?

Do both screens flicker at the same time?

What loads cause flickering to happen?

Do they only flicker when you are loading both down?

If you force the monitors to a reduced resolution does the flicker go
away?

Why do I ask?

- I hypothesize that some flickering is caused by a small mismatch between
  refresh rates (eg. 59.5 hz vs 60).  I don't know this for sure.

  Some video cards have fewer clocks to drive outputs than outputs.  This
  forces some monitors to use the same clock.

- some kinds might reflect a bandwidth limitation between the frame buffer
  and the video port.  This has nothing to do with how many compute units
  the GPU has.

- some kinds might reflect a lack of power in the compute capabilities
  or the built in CODECs.