[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Mar 31 11:17:41 EDT 2021

I'll side with Gilles here.

I have an RPi 4 and it's useful for many things, but a replacement for my
desktop it's not.
This is not just a gaming issue; I often need dozens of browser tabs open
at once and the system is used for video, audio and graphics editing as
well as communications (not just Zoom but also MS Teams, Signal, Telegram,
WhatsApp and the occasional Webex and Skype). Even 16GB RAM isn't enough
without swapping.

In any case, my desktop with the underpowered video isn't non-functional,
just flickers enough to be annoying; I have the luxury of being able to
back-order a 1660S and wait until video card sanity returns. I could
probably throttle down my video to match the Pi's spec but long term that's
not why I bought these monitors.

- Evan