[GTALUG] 60Hz refresh is overrated [was Re: Has the graphics-card world gone mad?]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 30 19:21:40 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:13:28PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> TL;DR: at least sometimes 30Hz is fine.
>
> Everything depends on your individual eyes, what you use the monitor for,
> and the setting of the monitor use.
>
> For my desktop use, 30Hz is actually fine.  It's what I've used for over
> six years.  I have, within arm's reach, all I need to switch to 60Hz but
> it hasn't seemed worth the reconfiguration effort.

I find a lot of youtube content is 60 fps, as is much of the content I
have on mythtv so due to my video card not having HDMI 2.0, I run at
1080p at 60Hz rather than 2160p at 30Hz.  Maybe someday I will update the
video card to fix that, although none of the mythtv content needs 4K.

X annoyingly thinks that when it detects the TV, it should run at 4K at 30Hz
rather than the explicitly configured 1080p at 60Hz.  This happens every
time I change inputs on the TV.

> Details of my use:
>
> - most of what I do is fairly static.  I don't seriously watch videos on
>   my desktop (YouTube seems fine).  I don't play games.
>
> - my monitor is 39" and perhaps 24"-30" from my face.  UltraHD.
>
> - I wear special fixed-focus glasses when using the monitor (as opposed to
>   my regular progressive glasses
>
> Gamers want refresh rates well above 60Hz.  To get that, they seem to be
> willing to choose lower resolutions.  That would be a terrible trade-off
> for my use.
>
> Films are traditionally 25 frames/second (each frame is flashed
> twice by traditional projectors).

Well 24 unless you are in europe where they run the movies 4% fast when
shown on TV.  Shown 0.1% slow on north american TVs.

--
Len Sorensen