[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:57:05 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 4:35 AM Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I made the mistake that I might want to upgrade my video card. I have a
> Radeon RX 550 that is struggling to drive two 4K screens. It works, but
> plenty of flickering under both Linux and Windows.
>
> I looked at a few sources such as Tom's Hardware to get a good idea of
> what to buy, and it suggested a card in the $300-400 range.
>
> I wish. Canada Computers has the cards (GeForce GTX 1660 Super) listed in
> this price range but all are out of stock everywhere. Amazon and NewEgg
> have them listed for more than $1,100.
>
> These don't strike me as cards powerful enough to do coin mining. Why are
> they so rare and expensive? Is it the global chip shortage or something
> else? And does anyone have an idea how long we'll have to wait this out ...
> or how I can tune my card to support the screens?
>
> Thanks!

if you post the output of xrandr, that would be helpful, along with
describing the physical cables HDMI/DisplayPort etc.

Does it flicker at all with only one monitor or the other? Could this be a
cabling issue?

What is the current refresh rate set to? Apparently some 4k monitors have
problems at 60Hz

You could try xrandr -r 30 to lower the refresh rate of each monitor to
test this.

HTH

> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
> @evanleibovitch / @el56