[GTALUG] Partitioning Question

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 28 13:24:47 EDT 2021

| From: Jim Ruxton via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
| > Setup a similar directory on the drive that has space (dunno if M$ will
| > let you
| > do this) and then use scp to move all the directories and files. Next you
| > setup
| > a soft link from almost full to the empty (sort of) disk.

| Thanks a lot . This worked perfectly. I've never used links in Windows
| before. They call them Junctions for folders. I just copied over my
| Documents and Download Directories to my D: drive and put Junctions on the
| C drive to these after removing them from that drive. Thanks a lot for the
| pointer.

I'm not a Windows user.  But here is another approach.

Most computers I buy come with Windows pre-installed.  Sometimes
they have the OS on c: and everything else on d: (Separate
filesystems, potentially on separate drives).  This is what you want.

I don't trust links in Windows.  They were added late and (if I
remember correctly) in a quirky way.

I don't know/remember how to split a C: drive into a C: and D: drive.
Google would probably know but I'm too lazy to look.  It may involve
the Volume Manager.