[GTALUG] The FOSS world's most famous incel is back...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Mar 24 10:15:22 EDT 2021

I have a problem with this whole chain.

First off likening RMS's comments to the incel movement is kind of like
the comments made by Gina Carano.

Way off the mark and amazingly incendiary but that does not mean that
the author of the comments should largely have their life destroyed by a
stupid-comment moment.

Now back to RMS.

I agree that he is likely not the best person to lead the FSF but
without the FSF having a clear set of ethical guidelines to things that
do not relate to free software then its going to be hard to find someone
who is not offending to someone else.

Should he be teaching at MIT.
Well it sounds like there may be a better case there for getting rid of
him for hitting on students but that is MIT's problem.

I have a problem with characterizing this as political correctness run amok.
That just throws the whole conversation out without critically looking
at it which is political incorrectness run amok.

Having walked through the articles and comments it seams clear to me
that some people have taken a bit of information and then extrapolated
to find outrage.

I know a man who likes to beat women.

To the best of my knowledge he has never assaulted a woman and all the
women he beats are willing participants, some of whom I also know.

Take the first comment alone and you have a right to be outraged.
The rest of the context changes it from an abuser to someone who has a
"hobby"(not the right word but I can't think of a better one now) that
many would find distasteful.

Lets cool down the outrage in both directions.

On 3/23/21 9:46 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> ... hopefully, not for long.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/03/free-software-advocates-seek-removal-of-richard-stallman-and-entire-fsf-board/
>
> I propose that GTALUG as an organization add its name to the petition,
> already signed by a healthy cross section of the FOSS world.
>
> https://rms-open-letter.github.io/
>
> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
> @evanleibovitch / @el56

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||