[GTALUG] War Story: debugging remote port access

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Mon Mar 22 13:26:07 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-22 8:09 a.m., Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2021-03-22 12:53 a.m., Michael Galea via talk wrote:
>>
>> The only problem I have encountered is that if mpd starts before nfs
>> mounts, it doesn't see the collection.
>
> Doesn't the mpd systemd service wait for network? It did the last time I
> installed it on a Raspberry Pi for an audio project.
>
> cheers,
>   Stewart

That, unfortunately, has not been my experience.  I am on the 0.19.1-1.1
version, which I installed in 2016 from raspian. Maybe things have
improved since then in other mainline distros.

How would mpd know to wait? The config just specifies the hard path that
mpd uses to read audio files from. It would have to know when nfs
actually mounts.

Finally, my rc.local approach also incorporates amixer calls to set the
volume on startup. I too often found myself having to manually sign on
and set the volume manually after upgrades. No longer.

--
Michael Galea