[GTALUG] what MUA do people like? Use?

Slackrat slackrat at free.fr
Sun Mar 21 15:02:02 EDT 2021

"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> writes:

> I'm interested in improving my email routines.  I spend a lot of time
> with email so any improvement would be useful.
>
> So: what do you use?  Why?

I have two Lappys plus a Desktop all running Gnu-Linux, an IPhone and a
Mac which runs Apple OS plus a Smart Watch running Android.

GNUS is my main email workhorse with sendmail and fetchmail and runs on
two linux boxes whilst an old Dell Vostro Lappy is used solely as a Radio
Tranceiver and has only an Opera Browser installed in addition to the
Radio requirements.

The desktop is my Video Box with a wide CRT and is used for nothing
else. Gnus is set up and fetchmail/RSS are configured to bring only vid
related mail.

A Lenovo is my main Box and it handles the bulk of my email traffic.

The free Smtp2Go server handles all outbound mail from my Gnu-Linux
machines.

Why GNUS? Because I have always used it and have no reason to change but
I also have ThunderBird configured as a so far unused backup on my main
box.

Apple mail resides on an IPhone and a Mac box and so do two gmail
accounts that I have. Basically the main gmail account is never used for
mail but only as access to the Google suite of applications. The only
mail it handles is the occasional inbound Google blurb. A secondary
gmail account is a "throw away" used for all the sites I have occasion
to use for info, etc and which invariably demand an email address before
granting access.

The Apple Mail account is never used for mail but I have it because it
is compulsory and similarly it collects any Apple blurbs.

The Smart Watch is never used for mail or in fact anything and I
consider it a waste of the $10 I paid for it to a Chinese merchant
plus the $10 SIM Card from 7/11 although admittedly it does work
perfectly.

--
William Henderson
aka Slackrat