[GTALUG] Which NAS harddisk? -- Seagate or Western Digital

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 8 11:20:05 EST 2021

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 06:28:47PM -0500, William Park via talk wrote:
> 2 of my harddisks are failing, so I need to buy something fairly soon.  I
> haven't bought a harddisk for a long time.  Has Seagate improved their
> quality?  Or, should I go with Western Digital as I usually do?

I am certainly sticking with WD, although of course be aware of WD
totally botching the WD Red line by switching them to shingled drives
without telling people and breaking what the entire point of that model
line was (being excellent in RAID systems).  The original WD Red drives
are now the WD Red Plus drives (same exact model number as before,
new label).  It would take years of no more problems before I would
trust Seagate with my data.

--
Len Sorensen