[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 00:33:20 EST 2021

On 2021-03-07 11:14 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:

> And subsidized shipping.  It is often cheaper to mail from China or Hong
> Kong than from within Toronto.

Canada's mail pricing is iniquitous. I sent a Raspberry Pi Pico (okay,
and a tiny piezo speaker so it would play the rickroll tune when plugged
in …) to Halifax, NS the other week. Small padded bag, 35 grams: $18.

I've also had DHL be faster from China than Canada Post's fastest
service can make it across Toronto.

> - Often one version of Ubuntu is made to run and that's it.  It is custom
>   (because booting every board is different; DTree has helped but not
>   fixed the problem).  It's rarely updated.
>
> - drivers are never upstreamed by the board-maker or the SoC maker.
>   Sometimes by volunteer reverse engineers (eg. linux-sunxi.org)
>
> - there is no support except by enthusiasts

Those are the biggies. A supportive manufacturer and community is worth
the extra. The Banana Pi folks managed to cause one of the Raspberry Pi
hardware developers to nope out of the community for a couple of years
because they'd modified his Raspberry Pi GPIO library just enough to
work with one model of Banana Pi ... but left his name as the support
contact. He got so fed up with angry, entitled support requests that he
quit coding and became an artisanal baker.

cheers,
 Stewart