[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Sun Mar 7 08:27:23 EST 2021

"Aruna Hewapathirane via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Some of the fruit named Pi boards have hardware specs way better as well
> but price is very affordable.
> I am wondering why the price is so low compared to the Raspberry Pi ? Or
> are we simply paying for the Raspberry brand name ?

I think it's the usual Chinese manufacturing cost advantage.  Those fruit
and nano pi's are from Shenzhen or Guangzhou.
Professor Michael Hudson wrote a book, _Killing the Host_.  He lays out
the fact that with the Finance/Insurance/Real-Estate processing ~40% of
GDP in US or UK, that functions as overhead cost on US/UK manufacturing.
You just can't match Chinese prices with that level of management cost.