[GTALUG] Unanswered Question, WAS: Raspberry Pi

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Sat Mar 6 13:44:12 EST 2021

On 2021-03-06 7:57 a.m., Chris Aitken via talk wrote:
> Am I on the wrong list for posing basic questions about Linux? I posted a
> question a few weeks ago about about not being able to copy files because of
> permissions and because filename had a '?' in it. I received no response.

You are not on the wrong list for questions about Linux. I don't recall
seeing your message. If you did then what you did today and added a question
to an existing message thread instead of starting your question as a new
message (thread) it may have been in a thread I was no longer interested in
and I was just deleting those messages unread.

Regarding the question, if you are using the command line you can use \ to
escape the ? when entering the copy command. You could also use
   "cp -i start_of_filename* some_destination" then say yes or no as to
which file(s) you want to copy. If you want to copy the file from a
graphical desktop you can open the file browser program (e.g. caja in Linux
Mint) and use it to select and copy the file.

You may want to rename the file to remove the ? from the filename to make it
easier to work with the file.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick