[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 08:42:05 EST 2021

On Thu., Mar. 4, 2021, 22:48 Aruna Hewapathirane, <
aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh my .. Thank you so much Stewart. Nearest major intersection is
> Lawrence Ave West and Caledonia Road.

Ah; other end of town. We can work something out.

I've also got a FireFly SBC you can have. Twice the memory, built-in
(small) bootable storage, about as fast as the Raspberry Pi 3. Seems to be
32-bit ARM only (unlike Raspberry Pi, which can go 64-bit, but that's
slightly futile in 1 GB), and kernel upgrades and boot process is fiddly.
Nice machine, but minimal community support.

I was thinking of cross compiling then moving it to the Pi ? What do you
>> think  ? A lot faster and very much
>>
> less error prone ?

The Raspberry Pi's kernel is still (IIRC) not 100% mainstream, so some
magic may be required. The supplied and supported Debian-derived Raspberry
Pi OS is 32-bit, but has a userland that has all the built-in hardware
supported. Go to any other OS and you lose that. I've never felt the need
to go outside that.

I was a little surprised to see you running Raspberry Pi OS on VirtualBox.
Looks like you're running the x86 Raspberry Pi Desktop for Intel - supplied
and maintained by the Foundation so old PCs can be reused as workalike
devices in the classroom. The Raspberry Pi boards are all ARM, so you'd be
running something different and your cross-compilation would need to add an
armhf step. Unless VirtualBox has gone all ARM too, you're not running the
same OS at all.

Cheers
 Stewart