[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 22:25:13 EST 2021

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 11:47 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: Aruna Hewapathirane via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Hi Mat, many thanks and the more ram it has on board the better. This is
> | strictly
> | for my own experimenting and learn by doing stuff. So any Pi will do to
> | start off with I guess.
> |
> | I am hoping to go down the embedded linux rabbit hole. I have been
> messing
> | around
> | with arduino for a while now and  I guess it is now time to move on to
> | something a little
> | easier to compile and test a linux kernel on :-)
>
> Any Raspberry Pi would do for what you just said until you get to the last
> line.
>
> If you don't care about kernel build time, I *guess* that any Pi would do,
> but I don't know.

I do very much care about the build time. I was thinking of cross compiling
on my
ancient desktop then moving it to the Pi ?

> | I am also very interested in seeing if a Pi can replace my ancient
> desktop.
> | I simply can't
> | afford the Pi-4 desktop version with the dual monitor setup
>
> You don't need two monitors so you can remove that cost.  You can probably
> use your old monitor, keyboard, and mouse (you might need dongles to
> convert between old and new standards).
>
> Agreed all I need is a single monitor.

What are the specs of your ancient desktop?

Well.. like I said pretty old my bios is:
cat /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_date
07/05/2013

and lscpu shows:
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU(s):                4
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
Model:                 60
Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU MHz:               3389.375
CPU max MHz:           3400.0000
CPU min MHz:           800.0000
BogoMIPS:              6784.89

and free -h shows:
Mem:          7.5G       5.2G       2.3G       341M       163M       2.1G
-/+ buffers/cache:       2.9G       4.6G
Swap:         902M         0B       902M

it's not a bad system I just want to start messing with a Pi :-)

> Most ancient desktops are actually more powerful than a Pi.  For some
> meanings of "ancient".  If yours is really ancient, I would guess that
> there is a cast-off PC that is less ancient.
>
> If you put a premium on "cute" and don't mind the various inconveniences,
> a Pi can surely be used as your main general-purpose desktop.
> ---

Thank you for all the pointers and advice.