[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 22:14:52 EST 2021

Hi Giles,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 9:59 AM Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aruna.
>
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 21:56, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mat, many thanks and the more ram it has on board the better. This is
> strictly
> > for my own experimenting and learn by doing stuff. So any Pi will do to
> start off with I guess.
> >
> > I am hoping to go down the embedded linux rabbit hole. I have been
> messing around
> > with arduino for a while now and  I guess it is now time to move on to
> something a little
> > easier to compile and test a linux kernel on :-)
> >
> > I am also very interested in seeing if a Pi can replace my ancient
> desktop. I simply can't
> > afford the Pi-4 desktop version with the dual monitor setup so thought I
> will ask and see if
> > anyone has a spare.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:38 PM Matt Price <moptop99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I might have one, what generation do you need and what's the
> application?

> The Pi 2 and Pi 3 come with 1G of memory, end of story.  Don't use a
> Pi 1 - there are too many issues and they (some or all, can't
> remember) don't have 1G of memory.

I gave what you said some serious thought and decided to run a simulation
and see what we maycome up with.

So I have Virtualbox running Raspberry Pi. I purposely set the system
memory
low to 512Mb and guess what ? It booted fine and so far has handled
everything
I threw it's way.

Web Browsing and anything to do with the internet is extremely slow but
does work.
Everything else is very responsive just click and go. So I am going to try
and get
started on a first generation Pi if Mat finds one lying around and I have a
gut feeling once
we are running on bare metal and not Virtual box even the internet may
speed up :-)

I am attaching a screenshot showing task manager and memory usage which is
also fine.
So with just 1Gb I think we should be able to do very useful things.

> The only ones with more than 1G
> are the recent Pi 4 series - and the ones with more than 1G all cost
> more money.

More money  ? Your looking at CDN $200.00 :-( tha tis daylight robbery.
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-extreme-aluminum-case-kit.html

> The Pi 4 is also the only series with USB3.  They're the
> newest and the best and as such, people aren't likely to be giving
> them away yet(?).

I was not asking for a latest brand new shiny Pi4 I was asking for a used
'any'
generation but if anyone has a pi 4 will gladly take it :-)

> I'm using a Pi 4 with 8G as a secondary desktop, and have been finding
> it quite useful.  Mind you, I'm not using it for Gimp photo editing -
> but I do use it for web browsing (not a lightweight activity) and it
> handles that well.  I think you would find any of the 1G models
> unsatisfactory as a desktop replacement: I wouldn't think about it
> until it had 4G RAM, and I'd prefer the 8G.

Giles please try running Virtual box and Raspberry Pi and twiddle with the
settings
you may change your mind like I did.

> If you want to learn about using a Pi - go to it.  But if you want a
> desktop replacement ... I'm afraid you need the one you've said you
> can't afford.  Sorry.
>
> Let me get my hands on one first then we shall see what I am able to make
it do eh ?

> Something worth noting is that you need a good USB power supply.  Most
> USB chargers _don't_ cut it: the Pi will be constantly telling you
> it's undervoltage.  That's a long conversation of itself, but the main
> point is you may have another cost on your hands.  And of course
> you'll need a microSD card for the OS.

Ah yes I had similar issues with Arduino. The power supply is crucial to
proper
operation. Thank you good to know.