[GTALUG] ThinkPad P15 -- crap?

Slackrat slackrat at free.fr
Mon Jun 28 15:13:28 EDT 2021

lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 12:58:19AM -0600, Slackrat via talk wrote:
>> I don't know about ThinkPads, but their IdeaPad 330 is Junk
>
> The ideapads have always been junk.

Thanks for the confirmation Len.

The specs looked good and the price was right so at 82 years of age I
thought I'd buy something which would be probably be my last new
computer.

I have an array of someones' "thrown away", "given away", "junked"
machines but did want something brand new.

I currently have:

(1) a Dell Latitude E610, recently acquired, which I treated
to a $40 new battery and a full Slackware 14.2 install and now, apart
from running a trifle warm, is waiting to be given away to some deseving poor
individual.

(2) a Dell Vostro with a straight Slackware 14.2 install plus only
Opera-Developer and the Radio Application along with a few of my
radio-related scripts to show the Q-Codes and UTC/ZULU for any TimeZone.
Azimuth and Station call signs are built into the Radio App.

(3) a Dell Optiplex 980 box with 22TB (2x5 + 1x12) USB drives which is my video/music
box.

(4) a MAC of at least 10 years vintage. I gave  up on Mac OS for various
reasons and since it refused to install Slack but ;ove the large screen. It now has Ubuntu 10.4
and it's used as a machine I can use at bedtime, mainly  for Youtube.

So for a new Main Machine, I rejected HP as they advertize their USxxx
Standard machines, but when you get them they are optimized for, in my
case Portugal. And the local model is significantly different from the
USxxx model. Luckily Portugal has a 14 day, no questions asked moneybsck
(Not voucher) rule. I lucked out there.

So casting around, by then trapped in Canada by the CovidScam, and after
reviewing the specs went for the IdeaPad 330 with 17 inch screen.

Mea Culpa.

Also I have two hand-held cell phones, an Iphone and an el-cheapo
android as android supports the latest Radio App whereas iPhone only
runs an older incompatible version.

I'll return to Portugal as soon as it opens up for travellers from Canada
and will probably buy a DELL on/under the desktop box computer.

--
William Henderson
aka Slackrat