[GTALUG] Ubuntu 20.04.2 is groaning

Chris Aitken chris at chrisaitken.net
Tue Jun 8 11:30:59 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-08 9:44 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Chris Aitken via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Alt+F2, then r, [Enter] restarts gnome without closing any applications.
> | Everything is working like a charm, now.
>
> Great!
>
> I didn't know about this.
>
> Odd: this looks like it is going to run the "r" shell command, but
> there is no such command.  Hardwired magic?
>
> I tried it.  Each of my windows came back blank until I selected it.  Odd.
For me, Alt+F2 brought up a little GUI single-line command widget. Then
I typed 'r' and it restarted gnome. Whether the 'r' would have worked in
a terminal, I don't know. I'll try it if gnome hangs again, in the
future. If not, that I guess would mean that Alt+F2 would be analogous
to typing some command, then the 'r' would be the switch (if they even
call it that in linux) that restarts gnome.