[GTALUG] Ubuntu 20.04.2 is groaning

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 12:05:23 EDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 8:56 AM Val Kulkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 11:33, Chris Aitken via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am hoping to get some help with my Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS system. Takes me
>> 5+ seconds just to enter commands, switch between apps, etc.
>

> Try checking your hard disk's health with smartctl (package smartmontools). Try replacing the hard disk's SATA cable.

Because I am terrible at reading comprehension.

Have you ruled out the usual suspects?

- How much RAM as you using?
free -h
will help check that out?

- Are you swapping?

- Are you using up too much CPU bandwidth? I prefer using htop to get
an ongoing view, but you could get those details from top. (Note - if
you have a multicore system like most of us do today, you will see CPU
consumption of more than 100%. As long as it is less than x*100 where
x is the number of CPUs, you should be "fine". To know the number of
CPUs, "lscpu" is a helpful command.)

- Are you having some CPUs getting oversubscribed. htop is more useful
in seeing this. If you see some CPUs running at 100% and others at
something lower, that might be something to investigate.

Dhaval