[GTALUG] ftp helper app, and how to screenshot on Ubuntu 21.04?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jun 5 10:50:42 EDT 2021

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Hi - so browsers don't support ftp:// links any more
| <https://www.somagnews.com/mozilla-firefox-drops-support-for-ftp/>,

I knew that was coming.  I didn't understand the reason.  But the release
notes surely have a rationale.

FTP-through-NAT, especially through firewalls, is a real hack.

FTP has no built-in authentication or encryption.

| and
| I was wondering what people used as a drop-in app?

CLI all the way!  I've always used wget(1).  With the -N flag.

- this gets me a copy: I always worry that archives go away.

- this gets me the timestamp.  I find timestamps very useful for
  archived material.

| this change came out of nowhere.

I understand that this happened some time ago with Chrom*.  (I don't
use them much.)

| Also, my go-to screenshot thingy /*scrot*/ no longer works on Ubuntu
| 21.04:

gnome-screenshot AKA ScreenShot should work.

On Fedora, I type:

	"Windows-key" to show activities

	"s c r e" into the search box.  ScreenShot should be its first
	suggestion

	"ENTER" to run that suggestion.

I hope that description is less painful to decode than it was to
encode.

| My keyboard doesn't have a PrtSc key so I can't use any of the built-in
| screenshot tools.

I bet you could map this function onto something else on your
keyboard.  I've not done it.

| Is this a Wayland thing? I thought Wayland was
| supposed to be compatible with X?

Compatible for X applications.  Not users.

I'm a moderately pliable and undemanding user.  Wayland is fine for
me.

My desktop is another matter.  It has an nvidia card.  Old enough that
nouveau supports it.  But the few times I've tried nouveau, it
misbehaved.  So I use the proprietary driver.  It doesn't get along
with Wayland.  So I'm still on X.

All my many other devices run Wayland.  Except possibly the laptop
with an nvidia GPU.