[GTALUG] long war story: growing the ESP (/boot/efi)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jul 15 10:47:31 EDT 2021

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 10:21:07AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:

| > (Updating Windows, without making it the default boot, is really
| > annoying.)
|
| Hmm, I seem to recall newer windows versions have been better behaved
| than they used to be.

What I said was ambiguous.

What I meant was: Windows update can get into the weeds if the system
isn't set up to boot Windows by default.  A number of steps require a
reboot and if Windows isn't the default, things can go wrong unless
you are there to catch it.  You don't want to be there because Windows
Update is more boring than watching paint dry (except when it goes
wrong).

What I think you are referring to is that sometimes (when?) Windows
fiddles with firmware settings / MBR to make itself the default boot.
I've had this happen but I don't know when.  This was really annoying
in the MBR days because recovery was awkward but with UEFI it is
usually easy to fix from firmware setup.  Yes, this happens less these
days, but it still happens.