[GTALUG] long war story: growing the ESP (/boot/efi)

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jul 14 09:49:30 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-13 8:11 p.m., Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 10:21:07AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> Really?  That's terrible.  I often update UEFI settings.
>>
>> Do you have a source for this?
> I can't find any.  There was a bug that made NVRAM read only on some
> systems in 2017 (that was in ubuntu 17.10), but nothing else I can find.
> I can find some comments about trying to reduce the writes to NVRAM to
> avoid wear, but nothing specific I can find that actually says people
> have had NVRAM actually wear out.  It would have been some years ago.

Years ago I worked on an avionics project where we were storing data in
an NVRAM.
We had to write code to manage the wear-out in the cells and if I
remember correctly the wear-out was in the hundreds of thousands to
millions of writes before problems would occur.

I could not see normal usage causing wear-out unless someone were to
have some kind of bug causing a high write rate.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||