[GTALUG] long war story: growing the ESP (/boot/efi)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 9 12:58:25 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 03:24:29PM -0400, Nicholas Krause via talk wrote:
> Have you looked at:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/EFISTUB
>
> Not sure of how much use it is for you. Not for me currently but may
> be of interest.

Using grub is way more flexible.  Having only one bootable kernel is
not convinient which is what you essentially have if you make a UEFI
boot entry pointing at a kernel directly.

Sure if your system has a UEFI shell (most desktop and laptop machines
seem allergic to that concept) then you could certainly boot such a
kernel by picking the one you want, although you would have to then
enter all the arguments for the kernel manually which is a hassle.
I can't really see an actual use case for the EFISTUB.

--
Len Sorensen