[GTALUG] [ Audacity Becomes Spyware (fwd)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 20:18:12 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-06 5:07 p.m., Znoteer via talk wrote:

> Don't personally know much about Audacity.  Just thought I would pass this along.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/

Except your IP address *is* considered to be personally identifying
information under GDPR, so Muse will have to jump through hoops for
collection, deletion and reporting.

In other news, the maintainer of an Audacity fork apparently got
*stabbed* over this:
https://github.com/tenacityteam/tenacity/issues/99
(CW: somehow members of the odious 4chan board managed to scrape
together enough neurons to operate github accounts, so it goes without
saying: Don't follow the deeper links!)

 Stewart