[GTALUG] ThinkPad P15 -- crap?

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Thu Jul 1 08:59:19 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-26 2:42 a.m., ac via talk wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 01:06:23 -0400
> William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I'm using ThinkPad P15 Gen 1 at work.  The keyboard, touchpad, and
>> trackpoint are not what I expected.  They feel cheap.  My old T450 is
>> better.
>> Is it just me?  Or, has anyone notice this also?
>>
> not just you, I also am of the opinion that it is cheap crap :(
> personally I have now started using HP, the quality is just better

Over the last three years my employer has issued me both an HP Elitebook
G3 (Intel) and a G6 (AMD). Both have run linux well, both have had
trackpoints. The build quality was decent on both, plastic on the G3,
aluminum on the G6. The G3 machines had a common screen defect were one
corner would develop a backlight hotspot, but it was readily ignorable.

HP's dedicate dock for them also worked well, and the USB-C dock option
has also been working well on the G6.

Getting into the cases has always been easy with just a few screws on
the back panel and no-nonesense access to RAM and M.2 slots.

The BIOSes include a handy option to swap the fn and ctrl keys, which
are reversed compare to thinkpad layouts. Handy for me as I'm used to
the thinkpad layout. I do miss the dedicated middle click button that
the HPs lack, but middle button emulation (holding buttons 1 & 3) works.

--
Scott Sullivan