[GTALUG] Fwd: HISTORIC opportunity for cheaper Internet in Toronto

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Jan 29 08:05:04 EST 2021

On 1/28/21 7:18 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2021-01-28 5:45 p.m., David Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
>> A proposal for a community broadband, in Toronto!
>
> Several years ago, Toronto Hydro had the same idea.  I  believe they
> sold their fibre to Cogeco.  Back when I was with Unitel, working with
> Rogers, we'd use Hydro fibre to reach customers in the downtown core.

Not sure of steps in between but Cogeco ended up with Toronto Hydro
Telecom and bundled it with Peer1 which they recently sold to
https://www.digitalcolony.com/ and its now called Aptum.
https://aptum.com/newsroom/cogeco-peer-1-acquistion-by-digital-colony-closes/

So a large chunk of Ontario's telecom infrastructure is in the hands of
a bunch of fund managers.
I have a feeling that will not end well for Ontario users of telecom
services.

<https://www.digitalcolony.com/>

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||