[GTALUG] How do I demonstrate a crappy network?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:49:07 EST 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 16:21, David Collier-Brown via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2021-01-19 11:15 a.m., David Collier-Brown wrote:

> >> Video call over 2.4 GHz wifi, then start the microwave. Glitchtastic
> >> every time.
> >
> > I'm not sure the Linux networking changes help with that (;-))
> >
> > --dave
>
> Joking aside, is there a famously _bad_ video or audio site, one that
> everyone hates?
>
> Or a setting for a service that makes it fail?

Here's an idea - no clue if it's a good one.

Get yourself access to a low bandwidth connection: if the following
table is correct (dubious source and video compression always varies
depending on content) then you can easily saturate a 10Mbps DSL line
with a 4K video:

Resolutions Required   Bandwidth Required
                                      H264        H265
1280×720(HD)              3Mbps    1.5Mbps
1920X1080(FHD)         6Mbps     3Mbps
3840×2160 (UHD)       25Mbps   12Mbps
4096×2160 (4K)           32Mbps   15Mbps

(source: https://www.synopi.com/bandwidth-required-for-hd-fhd-4k-video/
in case the table got mangled into unreadability. )

Maybe you have a way to fractionalize your own network connection if
you don't have access to 10/1 DSL.

With YouTube, you can select the resolution (although it's not very
granular at the top end).  If you can toggle CAKE on/off, see if the
saturated line becomes unsaturated.  If not, reduce the video
resolution and repeat.  YouTube's "Stats for Nerds" may also be
helpful?

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/